Senior Citizens are the Fastest-Growing Population Segment in the United States
The face of America is changing. Increasingly, we are becoming a nation of elders. 77 million baby boomers began to come of age in 2010. In Steuben County, the impact on individuals, families, taxpayers, and the entire health care system will be staggering.
SSSF has discovered some startling statistics about our aging population
- In the United States, currently, one in every seven individuals is over age 65. By 2035, one in every five individuals will be over age 65.
- Currently in New York State, one in every six individuals is over age 65. By 2035, one in every five individuals will be over age 65.
- In Steuben County, the population projections are even more dramatic. Currently one in every six individuals is age 65 and over and by 2035 the rate will be one in every four.
- Additionally in Steuben County the percentage of people over age 85 is expected to increase by 43% by 2035. It is projected that 70% of people in this oldest age group may need assistance to remain in their own homes.
- The Alzheimer’s Association states that, nationally, one third of all seniors will develop Alzheimer’s or another dementia: generalizing that number to 6,575 people in Steuben County currently suffering from this and related diseases and 8,419 by the year 2035.